Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Vogue 8831 tunic

After making my leggings, I realized that most of my tops are intended to be worn with jeans, and as such, aren't long enough to really feel comfortable when worn with leggings. For some reason, I don't feel that exposed in skinny jeans, but leggings means tunic length tops in my world.
Enter Vogue 8831. This pattern includes several versions of a princess seamed, raglan top, with straight and hi-lo hemline options and an attached cowl neckline. Since it is winter, and I wanted to cover my butt, I chose view C, which has full length sleeves and is tunic length.
You can see the seamlines a little better here. I love a princess seamed top, and this pattern includes cup sizes, so I didn't have to do an FBA. Love that! The only alterations I made were to shorten the front 1/2 inch above the bust, which raised the neckline slightly. I also graded the raglan seams in back out one size as a sort of cheater broad back adjustment.
As a result, the fit through the back is really nice. You can also see how long it is in back here. Great backside coverage!
In front, despite raising the neckline, it is still VERY low. My bra is clearly visible even without bending over. I put on a black lace cami, and I actually like the look of it, but I won't wear this alone.The sleeves and shoulders fit well though. If I make this again, I'll definitely raise the neckline.
The fabric I used is a soft and drapey rayon jersey from my stash. I love the way it feels and hangs, but it is just a wee bit clingy. No elastic waist pants with this, or my muffin top is clearly visible. Fortunately, I put a yoga waistband on my leggings, so they'll be perfect.
Since the wind chill put the temp around 11 this morning, I decided to forgo the leggings, and went with my warmer Vogue 8330 skinny jeans. I LOVE the way the gold print on the jeans looks with this color top! I finished the look with a RTW trench, reminding me that I need to get working on my coat! Outerwear is really about the only clothing of which I still have a lot of RTW pieces. My shoes are by Madden Girl and I love them so.

21 comments:

Little Hunting Creek said...

That is a great top-that color looks good on you

Anonymous said...

Great outfit! I really like your new tunic - you did a wonderful job making it!

~ Brooke

BirdandBicycle said...

I love this pattern! Lately I am really into cowl neck tops. This pattern is added to my wish list now. Great work.

Sarahbelle said...

Yet another Vogue pattern that I must, I must, I must have!!!

I love everything about this:
the cowl neck: so feminine!
the Princess seams: such a great fit
the tapered hem: atypical, sans weirdness

I love it, love it, love it!!!

Marie said...

Looks great - perfect to go with leggings.

Lynneb said...

Great top, Katie!

Marjie said...

I love that color on you. It's such a pretty and feminine tunic!

Unknown said...

Great top (and I love your shoes)! I need more tops like this for work and play... thanks for the review!

The Hojnackes said...

I love this! I hope we get to see it with your leggings when it warms up a little.

Lori said...

Very pretty top, this pattern is such a winner. You look great!

Pam said...

Katie - How adorable! I love the top - you really did a great job!

Jacquie said...

Lovely top!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Fabulous top - fits perfectly, and I love the hemline!

Cindy said...

Katie..that shade of red is perfect on you! Love the tunic!

Kyle said...

you look SO chic!!

prttynpnk said...

Lovely! Again, I suffer from MaryJane envy...

Tanit-Isis said...

Gorgeous and warm! Win in all ways. I don't blame you for going with the jeans for the photos, though. :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

This is great! I like the subtlety of the high-low hemline--very chic without being sooooo 2013.

BirdandBicycle said...

Katie, I am just cutting out this pattern now to make in some light weight lycra for summer. Any chance you can give me a hint about how you shortened the neckline? I am just realizing I need this adjustment for every shirt I make. I apparently have a short distance between shoulder and bust. Being a novice, I tried googling this for a tutorial but couldn't find the right vocabulary to even find the right tutorial. I appreciate this! malora at the gmail

THANK YOU in advance!

BirdandBicycle said...

Katie, I am just cutting out this pattern now to make in some light weight lycra for summer. Any chance you can give me a hint about how you shortened the neckline? I am just realizing I need this adjustment for every shirt I make. I apparently have a short distance between shoulder and bust. Being a novice, I tried googling this for a tutorial but couldn't find the right vocabulary to even find the right tutorial. I appreciate this! malora at the gmail

THANK YOU in advance!

Jan Crews said...

This is really beautiful on you. The fabric on mine is too thin - I'm going to make another in a slightly heavier fabric. I agree with you on the camisole. Good job.