Saturday, April 28, 2012

Ottobre 03/2009-23

With the completion of the popular "Bert" shorts from the 03/2009 Ottobre, Logan's outfit for KCWC is done!
I can see why this pattern got so much use when it came out. It really is great, with fun details, but still easy to sew.
For Logan's shorts, I went with a more understated color for the topstitching. This is the "jeans" topstitching thread from Coats & Clark. I added a single Mater applique to the leg of the shorts just for fun.
Much like Duncan's shorts, these feature a nonfunctional fly, which is topstitched down. The pockets are patch style, which gives you more opportunities to show off your topstitching skills. My twin needle made short work of these. Since I couldn't cut the pocket opening on the straight grain for these, I interfaced the opening with a strip of interfacing.
In back are patch pockets and a deep yoke. The waistband assembly is a little fiddly, but resulted in a really professional look, so I think it was worth the extra effort.

Now I just have to convince the ornery boy to actually try them on. Next up is a purple butterfly/polka dot dress that will definitely get worn. That little princess of mine can't resist a new dress. Wonder where she gets that?