Friday, April 13, 2012

New Look 6587 and Gertie's crinoline

My first sundress of the season is finished!
Isn't it fun? I'm really enjoying wearing it. I even got an unsolicitation  from a total stranger while I was out running errands! Yay! The fabric is a fun striped stretch seersucker from Fabric.com. It is very lightweight and comfortable.
The pattern is New Look 6587, and is one of the "New Vintage Looks" line that was recently released. I bought this pattern because it reminded me so much of a favorite dress from High School, although that dress was white.
I liked quite a lot about this pattern. It was a quick sew, since I left it unlined. Princess seams are lovely for shaping and easy to do an FBA on. I actually used the front bodice pieces from Simplicity 2403, since I had already altered them to fit. The major issue I had with it was the back neckline. It gaped horribly! I imagine that this would be less of a problem in the view with the collar, but it looked dreadful on this one. I took two half inch darts in the back neckline, which helped.
I love the pockets! The body of the pocket is gathered into a trimmed band. The placement markings on the skirt were strange though - too low and too close to the front bands. I was really glad I had waited to put the pockets on until after the dress was constructed. You can also see the trim on the dress in this shot. The entire front neckline and button band are trimmed with a ruffled grosgrain ribbon. I initially thought about piping here, but I'm glad I went with the little ruffle. The effect is sweet.
The skirt also isn't super full. It isn't a straight dirndl skirt, although there is a small amount of gathering at the waist. It is sort of a semicircular gathered skirt. I really like this, since it minimizes the amount of bulk at the waist, but I would have liked more fullness at the hem, which would be easy enough to accomplish by just slashing and spreading the skirt pattern at the hem, but leaving the waist measurement the same.
When I first tried the dress on, the skirt was limp and a little sad. This fabric doesn't have a lot of body on it's own. I considered horsehair braid at the hem, but I wanted fullness throughout the skirt without adding weight at the hem, so I decided to make a light crinoline. I didn't want it to be costume-y (the dress is already a little OTT), so I just lightly gathered some nylon organdy into three tiers, much like Gertie's Modern Crinoline. Mine has a much shorter yoke section and an extra tier, but the effect is the same.
For the waistband, I really wanted some picot elastic, but I only had black. I ended up using FOE, and I actually really like it. It isn't as pretty a picot elastic, but it is very flexible and comfortable, while still being sturdy enough to hold my skirt up.
Day to day, I'm usually a jeans and knit top kind of girl, but a few more dresses like this one could convert me. It is comfortable to wear, looks cute and I can even chase the kids in it! The length is good - I don't have to worry about a gust of wind showing off my unmentionables, but the skirt is full enough for movement.

Now that I have satisfied my urge for a random cute dress, I'm back to the Wardrobe Basics SAL. I've muslined my McQueen knockoff skirt and it's awesome, so I'll be sewing that up next, then my LBD. Stay tuned!

24 comments:

Andrea said...

Really cute! {I love seersucker.} Great fit, and looks so comfy while looking put together.

Picnicfan said...

A very pretty dress and fabric. It looks lovely on you!

auntninn said...

Very cute and summery! I hope it stops snowing there so you can wear it. ;-)

gwensews said...

What a pretty summery dress. The fabric is perfect. And cute pockets!

Tanit-Isis said...

I'm battling the sundress urge at the moment (particularly since we just got like 4" of snow last night :P ). I will give in soon, I'm sure. I find so many skirts are improved with just a bit of crinoline going on ;). Although, I have a hard time resisting going well beyond "a bit". ;)

I'm curious what method you use to FBA princess seams (not so much for myself, obviously, but one of my fave bloogers, K-Line, has been having issues and tried a couple of different methods and now I'm curious what's worked for others).

Pam said...

I love this dress~ I'm definitely getting this pattern - you know what a fan I am of princess seams! It's gorgeous!

meli88a said...

This is so cute and fits you so well! The crinoline adds a nice shape but is subtle at the same time.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Love this dress! Such cute fabric and it just looks fun to wear!

Mikhaela Reid said...

oh, now I want that exact same dress!!! love it, love the fabric, so cute! and the buttons make nursing easy, I'm guessing. I'm also curious what FBA method you used.

natalie said...

cute katie I love it!

Sunni said...

I adore this dress! You look fabulous in seersucker and I can totally believe that you received and "unsolicitation." It's gorgeous on you and brings out your "assets" wonderfully! Perfectly done!
xoxo, Sunni

Mary Nanna said...

It's amazing - what you accomplish with the time you have available never ceases to amaze me- and I LOVE all the little touches to make this dress so cute, the support under the dress and the cute pockets.

Marjie said...

The crinoline is a great idea, because it does give a little shape to the skirt. I love that color on you, but, then, with your dark hair, you look great in pastels and bright colors. The first of your spring sewing is upon us, and none too soon!

Lori said...

Perfect summer dress, it looks great on you.

stitchbliss said...

You look so pretty. I love your dress, it looks sweet and summery but not at all juvenile. The pockets are terrific.

Beth said...

Great--color, fabric, pattern, stitching.
It will be nice in the hot summer.

Shari said...

Great summer dress! Love your fabric and the fit is perfect!!

Vanessa said...

You made such a pretty dress, no wonder you received an unsolicitation! Great job!

Lynneb said...

how fun, Kate! That is such a feminine dress...I just love that styles are so much more ladylike these days. The pockets are really cute, too. Love it!

Joy said...

This is so pretty! How nice to make it so early in the season so you can get plenty of wear out of it.

Anonymous said...

Okay!!! You are so cute and your sundress is amazing. I have been getting all the posts for the sewing summit and I see that you have sewn your own jeans!!! I am so scared to tackle that one! Any suggestions as to where to start with that? You are amazing with all you have created!! I have been enjoying your blog!

SEWN said...

Super cute and flattering dress. I bet you can't wait for the summer to arrive.

Anonymous said...

I am in love with this dress! Fantastic job.

SewSweetStitches said...

I just finished this last night and have been sulking because my back neckline is gaping horribly, too! I've been stewing about it all day, but when I get home I'll try the dart in the top of the back. Unfortunately I'd already put that stupid bias tape around the neckline, so that will have to be ripped off. Poo.
Thanks for the tip!