Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Simplicity 2767

Whenever I want to sew something for the kids, I pretty much always start with my Ottobre magazines to choose a pattern. But for Myra's Easter dress, I hit my much neglected envelope patterns. I've got some really cute patterns in there! I chose one that she is just about to grow out of, but that I really wanted to sew, and which had a midriff band that I could decorate with some crocheted flowers.
This is Simplicity 2767. It is a seriously adorable Project Runway design. The basic dress has neck and midriff bands with gathers at center front. The skirt options are a basic dirndl or a bubble and there are three different sleeves as well as a sleeveless option. The pattern also includes several decorative additions, all of which are darn cute.
The pattern includes lining instructions and has a lapped zipper, which I didn't follow, although they were really quite good. I elected to go with an invisible zip (as I had one that matched in the stash), so I had to construct the dress differently than instructed. The outer fabric is an embroidered eyelet gingham from my stash. I think I bought it planning to make a summer blouse for myself, but it was just a perfect match for the crocheted flowers, so Myra got it.
Here is the back. I like the sash, although I wish I had gone with my gut and made it wider. I love a big fluffy bow and this one is a little anorexic. The zipper went in reasonably well, considering I have three seams and the check pattern to match. I ended up having to sacrifice pattern matching in order to get the seams to align perfectly. The check pattern is so fine, the jog there is less obvious than a seam mismatch would have been.
Inside, I built a lot of structure and swish into this dress. It is lined and underlined with a polyester twill that has a lot of body. It also happens to be a bit sparkly. Myra loves that, and you can see the slight sparkle through the eyelets in the gingham. It's a fun effect.
The pattern has an optional net ruffle that is attached to the lining between the lining and skirt. Instead of net, I went ahead and used the same twill as the lining/underlining. It is very crisp, so it makes a nice firm ruffle that gives the skirt a lot of twirliness. It also rustles beautifully when it moves. I love how luxurious it sounds and feels. And net is scratchy. This is nice and soft.
And the sleeve. Oh, this adorable sleeve! Can I tell you how much I love it??!? It just screams ultimate girliness. Pleated and puffed! And bound. I love a bound sleeve. I think they are so much nicer than a stitched on band or a plain hem, particularly on a puffy sleeve like this one. I took a few pictures while I was binding this sleeve. If there is an interest, I'd be happy to write up a little tutorial. Let me know.
Myra loves her new dress. She was quite put out when I made her take it off after our little photo session. I'm glad it is a winner. It was a fun sew!

Next up, another installment in my Wardrobe Basics - the tie waist sweater! I think I'm going to alternate a Wardrobe Basics project and an "other" project from here on out. I'm down to the more complicated Basics and I need a little break between them. I also have a bit more Easter sewing to do...

17 comments:

Sarahbelle said...

Wonderful -- fabulous -- adorable!!!

Nice dress, too.

Did you crochet the flowers? Nice touch!
I love a pleated-onto-band sleeve treatment, as well. It's perfect for this dress.

Beth said...

It's very cute. And early. (Which is nice, too).

Here's my vote for the sleeve tutorial.

Anonymous said...

So pretty.wish I had little girls to sew for. Am making a temple dress for a YSA who will marry in June. I can get my sewing fix that way.
Brenda in the Boro UK

Tanit-Isis said...

That dress has some adorable details! (I was rather disappointed Tyo decided she wanted a store-bought dress for her Gr. 6 grad this year... if I want to make a fluffy girly dress, it has to be for one of my little nieces. Or maybe for myself.) Also, it wouldnt've even occurred to me to try to match the checks on a pattern that small...

I am all for more tutorials (even though I'm usually too lazy to do them myself)! Love the pleated puff. :)

Pam said...

Beautiful Easter Dress! One of my favorites you've made - and Wow! Someone looks JUST like mommy:)

BTW Easter is my favorite family Holiday! (Followed by Thanksgiving, I think, and then 4th of July).

Vanessa said...

I love this Easter dress!! I particularly love the touch of the crochet flowers. I will soon be sewing my 2 1/2 yr old daughter an Easter dress for the first time, and I hope to have as much success as the one you created!

wendy said...

awwww. this is the sweetest!

Marjie said...

Myra is so lucky to have such a clever Mommy! She'll be the prettiest little girl in church on Easter!

gwensews said...

What a sweet little dress. I wonder if you're entire family will be in purple this year? And the vest in your last post is awesome!

Lori said...

What a perfect Easter dress, you did a fabulous job and your daughter is darling!

KID, MD said...

Wedding and temple dresses are such a joy to sew! My brother in law is getting married in August at the Manti temple. I'm hoping his bride will let me sew up something for her.

Anonymous said...

Ii was YW president and so the girls feel fine coming to me. I get such joy that they are having temple marriages. They -I've been asked to do another- will be married at the Preston , Engand temple
Brenda in the Boro UK

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Adorable! Rustley and sparkly--I don't think you get more little-girl friendly than that.

kbenco said...

What a darling dress. She looks so pretty, and clearly loves her new clothes. Lucky Myra.

Sandi said...

Another winner - love little girl dresses like this! I just wanted to say also that I left you a Sunshine award at my blog that you can pick up at http://mamamademine.blogspot.com/2012/03/spreading-little-love.html

Cindy said...

Gorgeous dress for a gorgeous girl! I love all the details! Thanks for sharing the bound sleeve tutorial too. I've got it bookmarked!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Just WOW. Stunning - you've outdone yourself on this one.