Monday, March 26, 2012

Ottobre 04/2004-38A, sweat shop style

I realized the other day that Myra has managed to explosively grow out of all of her leggings. Since her daily uniform is leggings and a tee shirt, this is a bit of an urgent need, so I pulled a few pieces of jersey out of the stash and went to work.
And made 7 pairs of leggings in couple of mornings.
Her favorite pair is this animal print patchwork pair made of rayon jersey from Fabric Mart. She's wearing it with Jalie 2794, the Sweetheart tee. Since I pulled the fabrics all from the stash, they are a wide range of fabric and fiber, although I did mostly stick to lightweight jerseys, with the exception of the Hello Kitty pair, which is minky. 
It was originally a pair of adult sized PJ pants she spotted on the clearance rack at Target. I used the original hems and side seams, so these were super quick.
The pattern is Ottobre 04/2004-38A, which I used once before as a Halloween costume for Logan. They are your basic one piece pant pattern, and I love them. Conveniently, Myra fits into the size I had already traced, so I didn't even have to trace a pattern - win.
So, now that I am seriously tired of Myra sewing, I'm ready to jump back on my Wardrobe Basics wagon. I am almost finished with my Tie Waist sweater, although I ended up going shorter, so really it is just a cardi, but definitely a useful wardrobe basic. 
It just needs buttons and buttonholes and it will be ready to go. I didn't have any in the collection that suited, so I'm actually going to have to go get some. I'm not sure when that is going to happen, so I think I'll start tracing my trench coat. You know, now that it is Spring and I don't need it...

11 comments:

Tanit-Isis said...

Wow, that is a lot of little leggings! I'm pretty sure Tyo would be over the moon if I did this for her. Though I don't think I have much in the way of interesting jerseys anyway.

You get major mom points!

Good luck getting started on the trench. If it helps, we're supposed to get up to 20cm (eight inches) of snow here today.

Marjie said...

That's a lot of productivity for just a couple of mornings!I'm sure Myra loves having all of those colors and prints from which to choose! Now you can feel good about enjoying your "selfish" sewing!

Lori said...

Way to go, Mom, the leggings are darling. Great job - your jacket is fantastic, too.

Sandi said...

I've done some of those batches of leggings - love 'em under little dresses and skirts.

Vanessa said...

Aww, those leggings are great! I love Ottobre designs!

Cindy said...

What a fabulous array of leggings!

Elizabeth Made This said...

I love sewing kids' clothes sweat shop style, as you so wittily put it. It gets it out of your system, and then you don't have to do it for a while. I need to do this for the boys after I evaluate what they have and what they need for warm weather.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just spent about an hour of precious time scouring your blog and I feel all jittery inside with all the things I want to make! I found you when I googled for assistance with sewing with a twin needle, and I am so glad I did! I love making kids clothes, but I am venturing into sewing for myself lately as well, and haven't found many blogs with a focus on both! Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for the new inspiration, you have a new reader!!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That is some serious production sewing! Love that sweater--the boyfriend is always wanting me to add more animal prints to my wardrobe.

Victoria said...

Those are the cutest little leggings!!!! And your daughter is as precious as always:)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Amazing leggings, and welcome to my world of sewing something just a week or two late!