Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Great White Shirt - Vogue 8747

My next installment in the Wardrobe Basics SAL is the white shirt.
You can't get much more basic than a white shirt. And I really needed one in my wardrobe! This one is great - simple and easy to wear, but with a wonderful shape. The front bust gathers are a nice detail that keeps it from being too boring.
The pattern is Vogue 8747, which I made before here. The previous version was intended as a wearable muslin, although I like it quite a lot and made very few changes for the final version. The two major fit changes I made were to raise the bust gathers 1/4 inch. In the first version, it felt like they were visually pulling down my bust point. I also sewed the side seams at 3/8 inch, giving me an extra inch of ease all around.
On the first version, I avoided topstitching, but for this version I wanted a more casual look, so I topstitched down the collar, bands and cuffs. In fact, I did no hand sewing at all on this version. The Singer loves to sew on buttons. She got to do 10 on this blouse.
The fabric is a somewhat difficult to photograph, bright white stretch poplin from Fabric Mart. It is a really nice weight and has just about the perfect amount of stretch for this. I'm glad I got some in several colors.
I'm wearing my blouse today with New Look 6816 pants in a navy and pink pinstripe, my Simplicity 2149 fur jacket, Steve Madden red patent pumps and pink pearls my sister picked up at the underground market in Shanghai.

This is the 5th garment I've sewn for the wardrobe, so that puts me at halfway. I'm still pretty excited about the SAL, and I plan to finish all of the garments. I really want them in my closet! But you'll have to excuse a little distraction. Something shiny crossed my path - I NEED a red ponte jacket!

13 comments:

Shari said...

Your blouse looks great! This something that I need in my wardrobe. Need to put it on my to do list :0

Renae said...

Your shirt looks great! Wonderful fit and love the styling. I am working on my white shirt for the SAL and hope it will turn out as nice you yours.

Elizabeth Made This said...

It turned out great! It's a great shade of white for you. And the little peek of red patent leather is fantastic.

Marjie said...

Great pattern! I love the princess seaming and the gathering detail.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Beautiful shirt - I'm jealous!

Beth said...

It's great. Cute and versatile. The fit looks good. It's a great sew a long, too.

Pam Erny said...

great looking shirt...nice job!

Lynneb said...

Perfect White Blouse! Nice job, Katie!

Lori said...

Beautiful blouse, Katie. I have started my white blouse from the same pattern, one princess seam done! Can't wait to see your red jacket.

meli88a said...

That is such a flattering cut and looks great on you.

Unknown said...

Oooo! I love Fabric Mart! I get great stuff from them. And I've been looking at this shirt pattern and have been on the fence about trying it, but after reading your post, I may give it a go! Thanks!

Pam said...

Katie - This looks fantastic! I love it! I don't know what you're doing - but you're looking fantastic - and Congratulations on such a good basic and making progress on your wardrobe!

MushyWear said...

This is a wonderfully made white top. So professional looking!