Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas Spirit

I finally joined the Pinterest crowd a few weeks ago. That site can be a serious time sucker, but I have also found some fun ideas there. This is my first attempt at using one of my "pins".
The idea for the tree comes from this blog. She includes a pdf tutorial with patterns for the decorations. Very nice! Of course, I've never been very good at following directions. I cut the felt tree from a 1 yard piece of 72" wide felt. I only used half of the width, so I'm thinking about making another for their bedroom. For the ornaments, I used a roll of duct tape to make the circles and let the kids pick bits of trim to decorate, then I used the hot glue gun to affix their decorations. The "garland" is just mohair yarn. Nice and sticky with the felt.  Since felt sticks to itself, no velcro is needed. We all had a pretty fun time putting it together, and it was really quick - maybe 45 minutes total.
Here's Myra, rearranging the ornaments to best effect. She says it needs some presents, and I don't think she means felt ones...

In other news, my jeans are ALMOST done. All that is left is hammering on the snap. Seriously, that is all. Hopefully I can get that done today and get some pictures. I'm pretty excited about them. I can't wait to show you all!!

8 comments:

Karin said...

Cute Christmas idea! Can't wait to see your jeans.

Sarahbelle said...

How am I supposed to get my annual Outcome Summaries written, if you keep posting such adorable pictures?????

I love the felt tree.
I particularly love that the kids can arrange, and re-arrange the ornaments!

That ought to buy you some sewing time!

Marjie said...

And, of course, she's wearing her pretty princess dress while playing with the felt tree!

Kyle said...

I can't wait to see your jeans too!
That's great that Myra's still wearing her dress. What a lot of work went into that dress!!!!

Anna Christina said...

I saw this too! I am trying to make it for my kindergarten class. I am thinking about putting the words to a Christmas carol on each ornament. They can decorate and sing the song at the same time.

Witch Hazel said...

How cute, and what fun for the kids! Great holiday project. i look forward to seeing your jeans as well. :)

MushyWear said...

What a fun Christmas project. I can't wait to see your jeans. The pockets look great from the previous post.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

I love this! We made one, too, and the tree is just great!
http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-we-did-this-weekend-felt-christmas.html