Monday, April 4, 2011

In which I recant...

Did you all see the obvious bold faced lie in my last post? You know, where I said I was going to spend an entire weekend at my Mom's and not once touch the BabyLock? Such a lie... The truth is, I really did think I'd be too busy or something, so I didn't take any sewing with me. Fortunately, Mom has been collecting patterns and fabric for longer than I've been alive.
Is this pattern not the epitome of big-shouldered 80s awesomeness?? I found some hot pink broadcloth to make it up, but it still needs buttonholes and buttons, so I'll give you all the details later. I also raided her Burda collection and borrowed a couple that had things I wanted to sew in them.
I found it telling that I only took three of the several years worth Mom has. It seemed like every time I saw something I liked, it was similar to something I already have in my own collection. I think the writing on the wall may be telling me it is time for a Burda break, so that I can sew up some of the styles I already have.
Then Mom pulled out this surprise for me! She has a nearly complete collection of Threads magazine, and gave me a "few" duplicates that she had. These are mostly from the early 90s. I can't wait to dig into them! What an awesome weekend! We all had a blast with my parents, and there was bonus sewing. Perfect!

3 comments:

Kristy Chan said...

I understand what you mean about the Burda magazines - I've only been collecting them for about 4 years and already I've noticed lots of duplication in the patterns, and don't really like the patterns from the current years as much as previous years. Perhaps I need a break from Burda too...

Can't wait to see your hot pink shirt, looks like fun!

Sandi said...

Burda hasn't been doing it for me lately, but I keep finding things in La Mia Boutique that I want to make.

It sounds like a fun weekend. I wish my mom hadn't dumped her pattern stash before she moved here. :-(

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Bonus sewing is the best kind! I inherited my mom's 80s patterns a while back. They were fun to look through.