Monday, February 14, 2011

New Look 6896

Happy Valentine's Day!

And what better way to celebrate than with a new pink skirt!  After my crazy fabric shopping spree, we decided it would be better for the budget if we reassembled my sewing room...  So I finally finished a skirt I cut out before I got pregnant.
I thought it appropriate that I finished it just in time for a Valentine Date with my sweetheart!
The pattern is New Look 6896, which I actually purchased for the wide leg pant, but this skirt is a really nice basic 3/4 circle with a narrow shaped yoke.  The pattern also includes a version with pockets.  The fabric I used was a stretch twill.  I'm not sure where it came from, but I wish I had more!  It was nice to sew and has just enough stretch to make it very comfortable to wear.  I interfaced the yoke with hymo, which is perfect.  It supports the fabric well and shapes the waist nicely.  I decided to go with such a firm interfacing after reading in Claire Schaeffer's Couture  Sewing Techniques that a heavy fabric needs a firm interfacing.  I had never really thought about it that way before, but it paid off here.  I was also really grateful for my walking foot when sewing this, particularly when stitching down the yoke facing, which I did by stitching in the ditch.  The upper, uninterfaced layer wanted to stretch, but the hymo kept the facing underneath stable.  After just a few inches without the walking foot it was a bunched up, mismatched mess.  The walking foot kept the layers together perfectly.
Invisible zip, of course.  This one didn't quite line up at the seam, but I decided it was close enough.  Lazy sewing, or acceptance of a minor imperfection?  You can decide.  I'm OK with it.

15 comments:

Cindy said...

"acceptance of a minor imperfection" I like that!

Cute skirt and perfect for Valentine's Day.

Victoria said...

Cute skirt! The style and color are pretty on you. Claudia's book is a gem, isn't it? She's coming out with a new version (to be released in May I think) and I'm thinking about upgrading. I just bought her DVD and loved it!

Sam Rose said...

That looks perfect for Valentine's Day. Just fabulous!

NuJoi said...

You are ready for spring. I'm voting "minor imperfection."

Pam said...

I love this skirt - it's especially sweet on you!! Hey - I live with what I consider "minor" flaws in all my sewed garments - I don't think that is a big deal at all!! In my world, it's "perfect."

Adelaide B said...

I love this color. I am very tolerant of mistakes in my sewing. I figure ready-to-wear is so crappy, my stuff is better - mistakes and all.

Julia said...

Very pretty skirt! Pink is perfect for you.

gwensews said...

I'm OK with it, too, and in fact, that is a really great skirt and you are cute as a button in it! Have a wonderful Valentine's dinner.

MushyWear said...

Great skirt for a Valentine's date! I'm with you, usually okay with my seams not quite lining up, especially if it is a skirt I plan to wear with an untucked blouse or a fitted t-shirt. Have a wonderful time!

Audrey said...

What a pretty flattering skirt that is just perfect for Valentine's day. The invisible zip look good to me.


I hope you don’t mind, but I am trying to curb my fabric purchases by getting my fabric buying rush vicariously through others like you. Ooooh so many lovely fabrics in your previous post! Can't wait to see what you sew from them.

gMarie said...

I'm going with "Acceptance of a minor imperfection". Honestly - your shirt is untucked - who will see it? I think it's a lovely skirt - but be careful, you know what a pretty pink skirts and dates result in, right? g

Eugenia said...

Gorgeous skirt, very pretty and perfect for a Valentine's day date!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What fun swing! Minor imperfections are what life is. My theory is that if I can be zen about sewing I can be zen about life.

Big in Japan said...

Lookin' good, hope you had a good time on your date!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Such a cute skirt!!