Sunday, February 20, 2011

Easter plans

Now that I have 3 kids to sew for, I have to get on the ball for holiday sewing!  Easter is coming up, and I'd like to make new outfits for the kids (and maybe slip a dress for myself in there!)  When I was a kid, Mom sewed for us, so instead of doing big "Back to School" shopping, our school clothes trickled in over the course of the year, but we could always count on new outfits for Easter!  Since my kids are still too young to object, I can even coordinate them.
So, here is my current plan.  I started out thinking I'd make matching gingham check shirts for the boys, so I was looking through my Ottobres for shirt patterns in both boys sizes.  Of course, I did.  Duncan's is from the 03/2008 issue, and Logan's is from the 6/2010 issue.  They are your basic long sleeved shirt, but with a mandarin style collar.  While I was flipping through 06/21010, I came across this dress,
which I have wanted to make for Myra.  I realized that this would be the perfect design to coordinate with their shirts.  Amazingly, I even have a big piece of blue cotton in the stash - enough for the body of the dress, as well as matching pants for the boys!  So, the plan is to make gingham shirts and blue pants for the boys, and the dress for Myra, with the main body in blue and the pintucked inset in gingham.  Maybe on the bias?  This is going to be so fun!

8 comments:

Marjie said...

I sewed for my girls when they were little (before I sent them to 4H sewing club for 4 years), but I never sewed for the boys. It's nice that they'll all match for Easter!

Sandi said...

Fun!! I'm working on Easter myself and this year I am feeling ambitious enough to do the whole family - dress shirts for all three boys and daddy, a dress for me and one for Gracie. I have all the fabric and I'm sticking with a color palette of lavenders, blues,pink, aqua, and yellow - very easter egg. I'm kind of glad Easter is late this year.

Jane M said...

This sounds like such a charming plan.

auntninn said...

So cute! I can't wait to see the whole gang all decked out.

Julia said...

Can't wait to see these on the kids!

Ruth said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the coordinating outfits!

I recently made that Ottobre dress pattern for my daughter. She wore it to church today and said it looked like a nightgown. At 5, I think she's too opinionated about her wardrobe. :) I thought the dress looked adorable...not like a nightgown at all.

Big in Japan said...

Too young to object, young enough to be cute!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Fun! Wish I'd been sewing for mine at that age!