Sunday, November 7, 2010

Butterick 4910 & Simplicity 2561

Well, back to the costumes.  But this is the last one - really!  Myra's Red Riding Hood dress is sweet, but without the hood (which she won't wear), really isn't very much like a costume, and really isn't very Renaissance-y, so I decided to make her a princess dress for the Ren Faire.
She chose pink, naturally.  I saw it as an excuse to use up this wretched poly taffeta that she made me buy.  It was also a nice way to finish off the trim that I used on my dress.  Yay for stash busting!
The dress is Butterick 4910, and the belt (?) is from Simplicity 2561.  The Simplicity pattern got a lot of use last Halloween when I dressed a pirate band.  It's a fun costume pattern with lots of different options.  I suspect that I will use it again.  Butterick 4910 has been in the stash for a while.  It is a simple peasant style top and dress as well as shorts and pants.  Butterick claims that it is not to be used for sleepwear, although the line drawing on the pattern shows a bunch of cute girls with their blankies all ready for bed...  Anyway, it has very simple lines and was a quick sew.
I borrowed the sleeve treatment from Joy's cute medieval dress.  It is just elastic shirring on the upper arms.
For the lace up belt/corset thingie I used some darker rose satin from the stash and the waistband pattern piece for one of the pirate skirts.  It's lined with the pink taffeta of the main dress, which I interfaced with heavy craft interfacing to give it structure.  Sort of a training corset, if you will.  I don't think a 2 year old needs boning...  I did attach it to the dress with a line of stitching at center back.  Myra doesn't have much waist definition at this point, and I didn't want it to slide around.
I think the sleeves might be a little long.  I can't decide if I want to hem them up a little, or just let them be long.  She'll drag them through everything she eats either way.
At least now we are all ready for the Ren Faire!  And just in time - we go next weekend!!!  More pictures then...

14 comments:

Varina said...

I think the bemused look she gets just looking at her too long sleeves is worth leaving them long.

Pam said...

That is fantastic!!

Heather said...

That is so sweet! My goodness she is growing like a weed!

Julia said...

Such a pretty princess!

Michelle said...

Oh, my! She is so cute!! Great job on the dress!

Joy said...

Turned out pretty cute. I love the fancy belt.

wendy said...

Awww, she looks adorable in it! :-)
That's so funny that she doesn't like to wear the cape- after raising a fuss that her Halloween costume had to have the white fur cape, Kate refused to actually wear it trick or treating. Kids!

Debra Martin said...

What an adorable little princess!

gwensews said...

And a princess she is! Cute costume.

Lilian said...

Your Myra looks adorable in this dress. She must feel like a little princess! Have fun at the Renaissance fair.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a fun costume! I'm sure she has a great dress up box going already...

auntninn said...

She looks so cute! And hurrah for using a fabric you aren't in love with on a costume that thrills her. Win/win.

Pam said...

I can't wait to see your pictures from this weekend - sounds like fun - I am now inspired to go to another one - I haven't in years.

BTW, my sewing instructor began sewing by hand when she was a teen attending ren faires. . . .

amber said...

So cute! That last picture of her is too funny.