Saturday, September 18, 2010

FO: Little Red

I've been knitting very steadily on this, and trying to get it done in a reasonable time frame.  I'm not a quick knitter, and I'm sure it wouldn't have taken two months for someone faster, but that was pretty great for me!
Myra models her cape for you.  Check out that pointed toe!  My little ballerina...
Here is the side view.  It is really a very simple design.  The body is stockinette stitch with garter stitch borders.  The hood shaping is done with bar increases and k2tog decreases.  None of that was new to me, but the hood is seamed with a 3 needle bind off, which baffled my brain for some time.  Knitting still isn't intuitive to me the way that sewing is. Once I wrapped my brain around how to do it, it was pretty simple, although holding three needles was a little unwieldy.
I knitted the pattern (Little Red by Erika Floury) pretty faithfully, except for adding an extra inch to the hood piece to accommodate Myra's big melon.  As you can see, that was just enough.  I love the little pointy tip of the hood.  Pardon the peanut butter face.  She loves that stuff.
Myra likes her cape, and has been wearing it around the house.  I'm glad I got it finished this early - I still have time for a dress and pinny for Halloween!

12 comments:

Karin van D. said...

That's adorable. I love it how her little face is peeping from under the hood. So cute!

Beth said...

Darling!!!!

You are great at starting things early!

Beth said...

And I like the pointy hood, and the clasp at the neck, too.

wendy said...

awwwww! it's so cute on her!

Julia said...

AAAAAdddooooooorrrable!

Pam said...

THAT IS SIMPLY ADORABLE. Congratulations! I'm dying to learn how to knit!! What a good mommy!

gwensews said...

She is so adorable! And, nice knitting on your part!

Big in Japan said...

I can't understand any of that knitters' talk, but it's a very cute cape.

Angela said...

She is a darling!! Great job on the hood/cape! I'm a slow knitter as well... I'm so jealous of people that finish beautiful knitted garments like this! ;)

amber said...

OMG! How cute is that cape?! You did a beautiful job on it and it looks just precious on her.

SewSweetStitches said...

Aw so cute! Love the peanut butter face :)
I'm working on the same cape, and I'm on the neck decreases right now. I've read through the end of the pattern several time and I still have no idea what this 3-needle bind off thing is, so I'm hoping it's one of those things that will make more sense when I actually get there. Or I may be emailing you for help hehe

Heather said...

Ahhhk! How did I miss this?! Absolute Cuteness! Man, you knit fast!