Friday, October 30, 2009

Steam...

I think I'm running out of it. All this basting by hand and careful plaid matching is making me a little crazy, so I think I'm going to take a brief breather from my Chanel jacket and sew up something quick.

In the meantime, here is where the jacket is so far.
Well, I guess it's really a vest at this point. As you can see, the fit is awesome and the plaid matching went well.The trickiest part for some reason was the back. I expected to have trouble with those curvy eased princess seams, but the front went in like a dream. In fact, for the first side I didn't even line up the plaids before I sewed. They matched up all by themselves - sweet.This was the spot on the back that gave me the most trouble. I'm sure you can imagine why! Don't do this to yourself! When placing a vertical and horizontal intersection do not put it on spot where you have to ease an inward curve into an outward curve!! There was much ripping of seams to get this right, which is probably why I need a break now.

I am not completely happy with the side seams. They shifted just the tiniest bit while I was sewing them. I really wish I had a walking foot for this. I don't have the energy to rip them out right now, so I'm just going to let them hang out and see how I feel about them in a couple of days.

2 comments:

Beth said...

It looks great so far . . . Perhaps Santa is reading along and seeing your wish for the walking foot?

Pam said...

Looks fantastic so far - YOU are ambitious!!