Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Prototype and progress

As some of you may be aware, Mitch is a stud and rides his bike to work. Since it is finally getting cold, he hauled out all of his cold weather gear, as he does every year. Somehow, there always seems to be an integral component that we just can't find. This year it was his fleece ear warmer. So I thought I'd give a go at copying it, rather than forking over 20 bucks to Academy (again).So, here it is! This is my first attempt, to which Mitch declares, "That looks fine." High praise from him. It is a piece of scrap fleece bound with FOE. The narrow part covers the forehead and it widens to cover the ears and back of the neck, without any bulkiness to get in the way of the helmet. Pretty cool, huh? Although I think this one is pretty OK, I think that it is a bit thin and it bunches up a bit at the back of his neck, so I'm going to give it another go, this time with two layers of fleece, and more curve at the back of the neck.

And, lest you think the jacket has fallen by the wayside, here is my progress so far! The lining is fully constructed. I think the fit is good. (Whew! Since I didn't muslin!) I am currently hand basting the underlining to the boucle, so that may take me a while. I am a really slow baster.

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Yikes - hand basting! I would be really slow simply because I wouldn't want to start!!