Friday, September 11, 2009

Ren Fest sewing: Pirate hats

I had thought that I would save these for the week after the wedding in that nonspecific "when I have time" period, which I fear would mean that they would never get done, but since I don't have my bridal fabrics yet, I decided to move forward with the pirate gear, and so I made up these hats. I'm glad that I did. I really think that they will "make" these costumes!
Wow, were they quick and easy! I have made a hat of this style before, but with 6 panels and lined. This one is only 4 panels and is not lined. The Jolly Roger is just fused on with Heat and Bond. The pattern calls for you to glue the brim up to the crown, but I stitched it up there. I think it will hold better than glue would. I did think about lining it, but it is a costume, and really, what are the odds that two toddlers are actually going to wear their hats for any reasonable length of time?? The four panel version was SOOO much easier than a 6 panel! These went together like a dream.Myra likes it!

There was one little area that I just couldn't get, and messed up on both hats! When you attach the cap to the brim, the instructions say to pin the RIGHT side of the brim to the WRONG side of the crown, and in the picture, you end up with a seam in the inside of the hat, but both times my seam ended up on the outside. What did I do? Fortunately, the brim folds up over the seam. I trimmed it really close and ran a zigzag over the seam allowance, so you really can't tell.Can you?

4 comments:

Trudy said...

These are just too cute!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great day.

Tawny said...

Those are the cutest hats! My son wants to be a pirate for Halloween. This would be perfect. Thanks for the tips!

Varina said...

That hat is adorable on her. I think she should just wear it around, not only for haloween.

Michelle said...

ADORABLE! Those hats are awesome!