Friday, September 16, 2016

Simplicity 2369

It's been several weeks since I made this, but somehow or other I just hadn't gotten around to blogging about it. Perhaps because I'm still on the fence about how I feel about it.
The pattern is new to me, Simplicity 2369. It's been in my pattern stash a while, and I really like the lines of it. The front is a true wrap, just over the bodice. The left bodice and skirt are one piece, with the right wrap tying on the side. It sound more complicated than it is. Construction was pretty straightforward.
The back is sleek with a center back seam for fit precision. I added a little width through the hips and the fit is fairly good.
This is view A, but I omitted the sleeve elastic for a more angel-type sleeve as seen on view C. I also lengthened the skirt by 7 inches. It's not shown on a model on the pattern envelope, so I guess they intended it to be a midi-length? It was quite unflattering for me as drafted, but I do love a good maxi dress, so here we are.
So far, so good, but I think the fabric I chose is a bit thin for this. It's a lightweight ITY. There is no lump and bump coverage in the design, so I'm wearing pretty substantial underpinnings here. Had I used a firmer knit, that mightn't have been an issue, but as it is, this will have to be a church dress rather than the casual, running around dress I had in mind.
I do like the pattern though, and I think I'll try out the top version, but if I make the dress again, I'll use a more substantial fabric to minimize the need for Spanx.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Avengers in a dress

When I made the boys their matching Avengers tee shirts, Myra wanted to know when I was going to make hers. But, you know, as a dress. Because Myra.
Since I wanted to do a similar look to the boys, but with a girlie twist, I went with the Mini Penny Pinafore by Kitschy Coo. I used the Avengers pattern knit for the side panels and sleeves, and the solid black Laguna knit for the center front and back, as well as the neckband.
I did Myra's decal in a metallic HTV (Fashion Film Electric in Firecracker Red, if you'd like to know). Of course, as Myra is an active girl, she also got a pair of matching undershorts, also detailed with the Avengers logo. A superhero likes to preserve her modesty when saving the world.
Suitable for kicking bad guy butt? Yep!
We've made the Mini Penny a few times, but she's sized up since the last one, so this is a size 8. The only alteration I made was to make the sleeve elbow length. I just folded the long sleeve in half and added a hem allowance. This will be a nice all-season length here in the South, so Myra will be able to wear the dress a while.
I love the way this dress looks and fits from the back. So ladylike! Even in superhero fabric.
I actually finished this last week - I'm so behind on blogging - but Myra has already worn it three times. As soon as it comes out of the wash, it's on her body! I'm so glad she's happy with it, and I love that I can make her a superhero dress, since sometimes it's a bit hard to find them in stores. Yay for sewing!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Jalie 3245 for two!

After making Myra's sweet dress, I wanted to do something quick and easy, which this would have been, if it hadn't been the craziest week ever. Fortunately, I finally got a chance to sit down to the machines and whip these out.
The pattern is Jalie 3245, which I bought after seeing all the amazing tops Gillian made with it. I'm not really a tunic girl, but I like the way this is semi-fitted, but has a relaxed vibe. And I especially like that Jalie patterns come in a zillion sizes, so Myra could have one too!
She likes that idea. Myra has gotten quite picky about her clothes, so these days I've been very careful to get full approval for items before I start sewing them. This one was a surprise, so I am beyond thrilled that she loves it and thinks I am the best mommy ever - at least for the moment...
So, the pattern, Jalie 3245, is a raglan style tee/tunic, which also features a racerback tank/tunic. The sleeve is semi-fitted and elbow length. The neckline is bound, which I did on my coverstitch binder, but Jalie includes excellent instructions for knit binding on a regular sewing machine.
Both tee and tunic styles feature a shaped hem in the style of a baseball tee, which is a pretty fun feature. The hem allowance is 3/4 inch, which is about the deepest hem reasonable with a curve like this. I think the next time I make this I'll only use 1/2 inch hem, just to make it a bit less annoying to sew.
The fabrics I used are from the Laguna Cotton line at fabric.com. These two were coordinates, so the color matching was done for me - yay! I also decided to add a fun graphic snow leopard decal to the front of the shirt - done in HTV with my Cricut. It was challenging to layer all the colors, but I love the finished look.
Myra and I are both pretty happy with our shirts. I'll definitely be using this pattern again.